The design, delivery and awarding of functional skills qualifications
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Ofqual’s consultation is about the design, delivery and awarding of these qualifications, covering assessment methods for both English and maths.
Key proposed changes are increased standardisation across all awarding bodies. Other changes include:
- Students taking functional mathematics will now have to demonstrate skills with and without a calculator (in line with GCSE papers)
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar will have increased weighting across the awarding bodies
- New criteria for speaking, listening and communication at each level
- Focus on spelling an entry level, with reading words and spelling
- No spelling/grammar check to be used in the writing aspect of English (some awarding bodies allowed this previously and some didn't).
It follows the launch of a related consultation on subject content by the Department for Education last week.
For more information on the content-based consultation, see Nursery World, 2nd October 2017, p.38.
Consultation documents here
Deadline: 5pm, 22 November 2017