On the menu: Lemon Bakewell tart
Friday, February 8, 2013
Supplied by Karl Finnerty, head chef at Chapel Street Nursery and Children's Centre in Luton
This recipe is in the style of a Bakewell tart, has a lemon filling and is enough for four children.
225g plain flour
15g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
20g icing sugar
160g caster sugar
160g self-raising flour
60g ground rice
75ml lemon juice
4g lemon zest
110g caster sugar
- Place all ingredients for the lemon curd in a pan and put on a low heat until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Make the pastry, roll out and line a tin. Blind bake for 10-15 minutes at 160degC/325degF/Gas 2-3.
- Spread the lemon curd over the pastry.
- Cream the margarine with the sugar and beat in the egg.
- Sift the flour and ground rice and add to the mixture.
- Beat well, adding enough milk to make a mixture that spreads easily.
- Spread this mixture over the lemon curd.
- Bake for ten minutes at 200degC/400degF/Gas 6, then reduce to 190degC/375degF/Gas 5 for a further 20-30 minutes or until the filling is firm to the touch.