- 50g plain flour *
-50g wholemeal flour *
- 25g wheatgerm *
- grated zest of half a lemon, plus a few gratings of nutmeg or 1/3 tsp
- 150g grated parmesan or hard goat's cheese
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds * and 1/3 tbsp chia seeds *
- 1 tsp dried oregano *
- 1 tsp paprika *
- 50g butter or olive oil spread *
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
Preparation & cooking time: 1 hour
Makes Approx.: 25, depending on size of cutters.
Child Friendly Activity = *
50g Plain flour*
50g Wholemeal flour*
Grated zest of half a lemon, plus a few gratings of nutmeg OR ½ tsp salt (optional)
150g grated parmesan or hard goat’s cheese
1tbsp poppy seeds* (avoid using for those with a nut allergy)
½tbsp chia seeds* (avoid using for those with a nut allergy)
1tsp dried oregano*
50g butter or olive oil spread*
2-3 tbsp cold water
- Put everything apart from the water into a food processor and mix well for about three minutes. *
- With the processor still running, add the water, bit by bit, until the dough forms into a ball.
- Remove the dough and knead gently with your hands. *
- Roll the dough into a ball and wrap in clingfilm. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes, until it is well chilled.
- Lightly flour your worktop and roll out the dough to 3mm thick. *
- Use animal cutters to cut out the crackers. *
- Place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. * Bake at 180 degsC/Fan 160 degsC/Gas 4 for 10-15 minutes until slightly golden.
By Sofie Aldiss, food and nutrition lecturer at Norland College, Bath, www.norland.co.uk