On the menu: Cheesy broccoli and broad bean galettes
Monday, November 4, 2013
By Jenny Carenco, author of Bebe Gourmet: my baby recipe book - 100 easy recipes for raising adventurous eaters, which is out now from Vermilion
For the tomato sauce
600g cherry tomatoes
1tsp olive oil
1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
For the galettes
400g broad beans, frozen
125ml vegetable stock
100g Parmesan, grated
4 fresh basil leaves
1tsp olive oil
- Start the sauce by washing the tomatoes and cutting them into halves.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, heat 1tsp of olive oil and add the garlic. Brown the garlic, then add the tomatoes and lower the heat. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir the tomatoes until have a chunky sauce.
- Meanwhile, for the galettes, wash the broccoli florets and cut them into small pieces.
- Put the broccoli, broad beans and vegetable stock into a saucepan and add just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for ten minutes. Drain the vegetables.
- Mix the drained vegetables, the Parmesan and basil until the cheese starts to melt. Blend until you have a smooth puree (it is important to blend well because the starch in the broad beans will hold the galettes together).
- Form the mixture into small galettes, about 3cm in diameter and 1cm thick. Leave them to sit for a few minutes on kitchen paper to absorb some of their moisture.
- Heat the remaining 1tsp of olive oil over a medium-high heat in a large non-stick pan. Brown 10 galettes, cooking them 3-5 minutes on each side, then place them on kitchen paper and let cool. Repeat for the remaining galettes.
- Serve the galettes with the tomato sauce. Let Bebe eat the galettes with her fingers and dunk them into a cup of the sauce.
For a family lunch, serve these galettes with pan-fried chicken escalopes sprinkled with lemon juice and coated with tomato sauce.