Suitable for: children aged 10 months plus
Superfoods included: olive oil, onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, carrots, apricots
Super spices included: black pepper, garam masala, turmeric, oregano
Total preparation and cooking time: 20-25mins
Makes: six servings
Suitable for freezing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 100g (3oz) lean lamb, beef or chicken mince - washed and drained
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 200g (7oz) tinned chopped tomatoes
- 200ml (7fl oz) of water
- 1 medium carrot - peeled, washed, grated
- 1 small courgette - washed, grated
- 30g (1oz) dried apricots - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Heat the oil in a pot, add the onion and stir-fry on medium-low heat for three to four minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds to one minute. Then add the mince along with the black pepper, garam masala, turmeric and stir-fry until sealed (opaque).
- Add the tomatoes and pour in half of the water - you will need to save the rest for later. Simmer (covered) on a low heat for five to six minutes.
- Finally, add the carrot, courgette, apricots, oregano, tomato puree and the remaining water. Continue to simmer (covered) for a further 10 minutes until the mince and all the vegetables are well cooked.
For more low-salt recipes, see www.actiononsalt.org.uk/resources/Recipe%20Books/46422.html