Changes to Qualified Teacher Status
19 Dec 2017, Hannah Crown
The government is consulting over changes to Qualified Teacher Status, a revised version of which will be introduced from September 2019.
The changes include:
- Extending the induction period to two years (rather than one) after which QTS is awarded
- Development of an early career content framework setting out what all teachers need to know
- Ways to improve mentoring arrangements for NQTs
- Expansion of professional qualifications to include specialisms to promote specialist career pathways
- ‘A range of options to help embed a culture of continuing professional development’
- A pilot fund for work-related sabbaticals for teachers who have been in post for 7 years which would pay salaries for up to a year
This consultation does not cover EYTs or QTS in the early years sector.
Consultation closes: 9 March 2018
Consultation documents can be found here
Copyright 2019. All rights reserved.