The EIF covers all stages from early years to further education, and shifts the focus of inspections from data to the curriculum.
The key proposals for consultation include:
- a new ‘quality of education’ judgement, with the curriculum at its heart
- looking at outcomes in context and whether they are the result of a coherently planned curriculum, delivered well
- no longer using schools’ internal performance data as inspection evidence, to ensure inspection does not create unnecessary work for teachers
- separate judgements about learners’ ‘personal development’ and ‘behaviour and attitudes’
- extending on-site time for short inspections of good schools to two days, to ensure inspectors have sufficient opportunity to gather evidence that a school remains good
The closing date for responses is 5 April 2019.
Read Nursery World's articles about the EIF, which will launch in September.