I have tried many times to get Raquel to divulge the secret to her delicious chicken satay sticks and finally she has relented. Quantities are really down to personal taste, but this is the general idea.
- Organic or free-range chicken, cut into strips (a mix of thigh and breast works well)
- Mild curry powder
- A touch of unrefined brown sugar
- A pinch of salt (leave out for very young children)
- A good glug of oil
- Combine everything well and leave to marinate in a bowl sealed with clingfilm, or a Tupperware container, for at least 24 hours in the fridge.
- Thread the chicken strips onto satay sticks by folding each back and forth into 'S' shapes. Retain the marinade.
- Barbecue, using the marinade to baste during the cooking.
- Serve with shredded lettuce or cabbage in pitta or a wrap.
For a good sauce to go with it, mix together:
- finely chopped sweet gherkins
- finely chopped tomatoes (peeled and de-seeded)
- curry powder.
Serve the sauce in a bowl for those who want it.