Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
* denotes child-friendly activities
- Ciabatta loaf
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Topping 1
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 100g feta, crumbled *
- 2 ripe tomatoes (or a generous handful of cherry tomatoes) chopped *
- 125g mozzarella, torn *
- a few basil leaves, torn *
- pepper to taste
Alternatives Encourage the children to come up with fun alternatives.
- Prepare the toppings in separate bowls. If you are happy to let the children slice or chop ingredients, use a child-friendly knife such as My Safe Cutter by Pampered Chef, £5.75, at www.pamperedchef.co.uk.
- Season toppings to taste, and toss in a little olive oil. Set aside.
- Slice the ciabatta into four 2cm rounds and toast both sides.
- Cut one unpeeled garlic clove in half. Then rub each half onto the top side of the toasted ciabatta.*
- Drizzle each slice of ciabatta with a little olive oil.
- Add the toppings, allowing your children to load their two slices of bread with each of the toppings. *
- Eat together while the ciabatta is still crisp and warm.
- Sofie Aldiss is food and nutrition lecturer at Norland College, Bath, www.norland.co.uk.