The Booktrust prize, which has two categories - books for children aged six and under, and seven- to 14-year-olds - was created by Michael Rosen in 2008 during his time as Children’s Laureate.
The shortlisted titles in the younger category, which include stories about weasels taking over the world to a sound button book about woodland animals’ noisy bottoms, are:
- Spaghetti with the Yeti by Adam and Charlotte Guillain, illustrated by Lee Wildish
- Weasels by Elys Dolan
- Troll Swap by Leigh Hodgkinson
- Monkey Nut by Simon Rickerty
- Do Not Enter the Monster Zoo by Amy Sparkes, illustrated by Sara Oglivie
- Noisy Bottoms by Sam Taplin, illustrated by Mark Chamber
More than 200 pupils in schools across the country have been selected to read the shortlisted titles and pick their favourite funny book. Their votes will be combined with those of the adult judging panel.
This year’s judging panel includes comedian John Kearns, Guardian columnist Marina Hyde, author and illustrator Sarah McIntyre and the 2012 RDFP winning author in the seven to- 14-year-olds category Jamie Thompson. The panel will be chaired by Michael Rosen.
The winner of each category will be presented with £2,500 at an awards ceremony at the Cambridge Theatre in London on Tuesday 10 December.
- For more information visit www.booktrust.org.uk/RDFP