Inspectors visited Just Learning in Cambourne, Cambridgeshire on 17December and issued two notices of improvement.
The nursery had its first inadequate rating six months afterten-month-old Georgina Hollick died of asphyxiation after choking onapple at the nursery (News, 16 November 2006). Her death was ruled asaccidental at an inquest in November 2006 and the nursery received asatisfactory rating last April.
In the latest inspection report, all aspects of the provision weredeemed to be inadequate. Notices to improve have been issued for thequality and standards of both care and education. Ofsted also recordedan official complaint about 'insufficient staff and poor hygiene'.
'Poor organisation and lack of adult support' was highlighted as a majorfailing. According to the report, 'recent staff changes and ongoingdifficulties in recruitment have had an adverse impact on theprovision.'
Other concerns included the risk of cross-infection, with older children'given the option of lying on a dirty rug and cushions in the bookcorner.' Staff also failed to help children make a positivecontribution, which meant children were 'bored' and displayed'unacceptable behaviour which hinders learning.'
The report concluded, 'Overall, children's needs are not met.'
Jonathan Bell, managing director of Just Learning, said, 'While theOfsted report notes positive aspects of the nursery's care and somepositive changes that have been introduced by the new manager, there areissues which need to be addressed. We will be studying the report indetail and taking appropriate action as necessary.'